Hughes STEM Summer Homework for 2018-19 (Rising 8th-12th Grades)
All summer homework for each grade 8-12 for the 2018-19 school year is posted in Schoology or attached below. Students need to login to Schoology and select STEM Summer Homework: Section 1 from the courses drop down menu. DON'T wait until the last minute to begin. Start now and work consistently a few hours each week and you will be finished before you know it!
On behalf of the Hughes 7th grade team, we would like to welcome all new incoming 7th grade students to Hughes STEM High School. We have some exciting plans in store for you next year and would like to share the start of those plans, beginning with summer homework. We believe in the value of summer homework to help our incoming 7th grade students to be more successful in our core & STEM AA classes next year. Open the 2018-19 Summer HomeWork Packet for the Class of 2024. Follow the directions and have fun. Remember, don't wait until last minute.
Congratulations you made it to the 8th grade!!! In order to ensure you are growing as a student, it is important that you take these assignments seriously. Summer homework is important because it keeps your brain engaged and sharp over the long summer break. In order to be the best, you have to prepare. Open the team summer homework packet and the science PowerPoint listed below. Read the directions and have fun. Remember, don't wait until last minute. (Both files are also loaded in the STEM Summer Homework course in Schoology.)
If you don’t use it, you loose it! Research shows that this is true when it comes to learning and thinking. In order for all of the new Hughes STEM High School students to maintain their skills over the summer, all 9th graders must complete a Hughes STEM Summer Homework assignment. This will be the first work that you will be completing as you enter your 9th grade year. So give it your attention and your best effort.
Goals for 9th Grade Summer Homework
The activities or assignments that you will complete along with your reading are designed to do four things:
- Keep you reading and thinking over the summer
- Help you improve your organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Introduce you to a part of the school culture that will be a vital part of Hughes STEM
- Allow you do your initial STEM type of work with a very student‐friendly assignment
Summer Homework 2018-19 for grade 9 has been uploaded into the Hughes CPS Schoology site. Students should log in using their Hughes Schoology username and password. (Same username and password they used all year). From the course drop down menu, students should select STEM Summer Homework: Section 1. Click on the 9th grade folder and begin. If you are a new student to the district or new to Hughes please see directions below on how to access summer homework in Schoology.
Summer Homework 2018-19 for grade 10 has been uploaded into the Hughes CPS Schoology site. Students should log in using their Hughes Schoology username and password. (Same username and password they used all year). From the course drop down menu, students should select STEM Summer Homework: Section 1. Click on the 10th grade folder and begin. If you are a new student to the district or new to Hughes please see directions below on how to access summer homework in Schoology.
Career Tech Pathway Summer Homework Grades 11 & 12:
All Summer Homework 2018-19 for the Zoo Academy, Programming & Software Development, Health & Biosciences and Engineering for grades 11 and 12 are posted in Schoology. Students need to log into Schoology, click on Courses from the blue menu bar. From the drop down, select: STEM Summer Homework: Section 1. Click on your team/pathway/grade level folder to find the assignments for your team/pathway.
Directions to log into Schoology:
- All Current Hughes STEM students:
- Have a login account to CPS Schoology site
- They should know their user name and password
- They need to login into CPS Schoology website with their username and password
- If the students have a problem logging into Schoology, they should contact the CPS Help Desk for assistance at 513-363-0390, select option 1
- Students who are NEW to Hughes but NOT new to the district:
- Have a login account to the CPS Schoology site
- They need to login into the CPS Schoology website with their username and password
- Select Courses from the blue menu bar and click the Join button in the lower left hand corner of the drop down menu. Type in the following access code ZSBD8-82QBB when prompted to join the course. The STEM Summer Homework: Section 1 course should then appear in the drop down list of courses
- If the students have a problem logging into Schoology they should contact the CPS Help Desk for assistance at 513-363-0390, select option 1
- If you are NEW to the district you need to:
- Go to Schoology.com. (not the CPS schoology site)
- Click Sign Up in the upper right hand corner and choose student to create a schoology account
- Enter the access code ZSBD8-82QBB (for the Hughes Summer Homework course) and click continue
- Complete the sign up information using a personal email address and password for the account
- Click register when finished
- Again for students NEW to the district, you will go to Schoology.com for the summer to access summer homework.
- Click the appropriate pathway folder and begin your work.